Born in A.D. 1575, Lama Taranatha wrote this book in 1608. V. Vasilev of St. Petersburg translated it from Tibetan into Russian in April 1869 followed by the German translation of the text by Schiefner also published from St. Peterburg in October of the same Year. In view of the profound importance of the work for understanding Indian history in general and of the history of Buddhism in particular, modern scholars have extensively using specially this translation for decades and for varied purposes.
The English translation was published by the Indian Institute of Advanced Study in 1970. The present edition of the work has the additional attraction of carrying a Foreword to it by the eminent Tibetologist, Professor S. Rinpoche.
As such, it belongs to the class of finest translations of Tibetan works in English. The age old tradition of Tibetan translation of treatises with one Pandit of the source language and one translator of the destination language and a third person for checking and editing has been faithfully preserved. Among the erudite scholars involved, it was edited by a scholar of great eminence, Professor Debiprasad Chattopadhyaya. Also added are supplementary notes and appendices.