This user's guide to Buddhist basics takes the most commonly asked questions - beginning with "What is the essence of the Buddha's teachings?" - and provides simple answers in plain English.
Thubten Chodron's responses to the questions that always seem to arise among people approaching Buddhism make this an exceptionally complete and accessible introduction - as well as a manual for living a more peaceful, mindful, and satisfying Life.
It's also a wonderful resource for seasoned students, since the question-answer format makes it easy to find the right topic, such as:
- What is the goal of the Buddhist path?
- What is karma?
- If all phenomena are empty, does that mean nothing exists?
- How can we deal with fear?
- How do I establish a regular meditation practice?
- What are the qualities I should look for in a teacher?
- What is Buddha-nature?
- Why can't we remember our past lives?